The history of Milford Sound
Captain Cook missed Milford Sound on two occasions as he sailed along the Fiordland coast.
Milford Sound is completely hidden from view from the open ocean so it was John Grono, a sealer, who finally discovered it in 1823 and named it Milford Haven after his birthplace in Wales.
Milford's first settler, Donald Sutherland (known as the hermit of Milford due to his hostile behaviour) arrived in 1877 and built three huts - the "City of Milford".
After marrying Elizabeth Samuel, Donald transformed Milford City by building a 12-room boarding house (Milford's first hotel).
Donald Sutherland discovered Sutherland Falls in 1880, the worlds fifth highest dropping 580 metres in three leaps. Donald lived in Milford for 42 years and died in 1919. A government hotel was built at the original hostel site in 1928 and stayed there until it was destroyed by fire in 1952. The rebuilt version opened in 1954.